Blog Posts

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Timelessness of "Rose, Rose, I Love You"

While producing the upcoming show with the artiste Yudi Yap 友弟 named "East Meets West," I learned some interesting information from her years of research into the songs that were popular in both the East and West during the romanticized 50's. 

"East Meet West" 《中西唱盘》is a concept music show that artiste Yudi concocted to pay tribute to the wonderful era of the iconic 50's (also encompassing the 40's to 60's) when popular music from the West and the East started to flourish worldwide and integrate into each other's culture. 

"Rose, Rose, I Love You by Frankie Laine (from 1951), with the Norman Luboff Choir, orchestra conducted by Paul Weston.

This #3 juke box hit was released on the flipside of the million-selling "Jezebel" and is purportedly based upon a traditional Chinese melody." - Mark Gallagher. 



The English version of the hit song originally recorded as 玫瑰玫瑰我爱你 (meigui meigui wo ai ni) in Hong Kong in 1940 by Chinese diva Yao Li 姚利, was thought to be a tribute to the legendary burlesque performer of Malaya, Rose Chan. 









I also love this version by Gordon Jenkins, a very musical 50's chorus rendition.




I think the 50's was such a fascinating time that the world cannot get enough of its legacy. This song indeed proves that there is such a thing called "timelessness."

So, to celebrate our music legacy, come on and sing along with me:

Rose, Rose, I love you, with your almond eyes
Fragrant and slender, 'neath tropical skies
I must cross the seas again and never see you more
Way back to my home on a distant shore

Make way, oh, make way, for my Eastern Rose
Men crowd in dozens, everywhere she goes
In her rickshaw, on the street, or in a cabaret
"Please make way for Rose," you can hear them say

All my life I shall remember
Oriental music and you in my arms
Perfumed flowers in your tresses
Lotus-scented breezes and swaying palms

Rose, Rose, I leave you, my ship is in the bay
Kiss me farewell now, there's nothin' to say
East is East, and West is West, our worlds are far apart
I must leave you now but I leave my heart

Rose, Rose, I love you, with an aching heart
What is your future, now we have to part
Standing on the jetty as the steamer moves away
Flower of Malaya, I cannot stay




No comments:

Post a Comment