Blog Posts

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

An Artist From The Past

As I was in the final stages of preparing my book, I had thought it would be great to have some illustrations that could highlight the meaning of the poems, so that the story could be presented visually.

But somehow, for months, I couldn't seem to connect with any artist that could illustrate a poem's meaning, and furthermore, it had to be painted or illustrated in a style that suited me and the concept of the book.

I then wondered if I could paint them myself, as I really hadn't painted with a brush since taking Art Exam in secondary school (high school), which was way too long ago... 

While agonizing over this matter, I saw a Facebook post from Phillip Wong boldly announcing, "Everyone Can Paint!" So, it seems the moment had come for me to test myself, so I decided to call on Phillip to give me some professional feedback. 

So off I went proudly to an art gallery. The cool part was painting on canvas, which was a first for me, too! But, I didn't realize it was going to be that hard to imagine... a picture! Using acrylic for the first time, it was also hard to figure out the techniques in order to get the look I imagined.

But, all in all, I managed to finish 6 pictures which were inserted at the beginning of each of the 6 chapters of the book. Although I think I can do better, it was truly an emotional, even tiring, experience that helped me learn how to use my imagination better.

Also, I have to thank the very patient Phillip, who encouraged me to paint and accept that whatever I painted is distinctive of me, for there is no right or wrong in art, and that I am truly free to create any new world on that canvas. :) 
#PoweredbyIndie
#Power



No comments:

Post a Comment